Thursday, December 19, 2013

Luke 2:2-4 “All went to their own towns to be registered.  Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the City of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David.”

As an adult, I have only participated in a couple of censuses.  These days we receive a document in the mail that has questions to complete and data to fill in so our government can count and register us.  I remember the last time I had to do it I thought it was kind of a hassle.  I hope I think of these verses the next time I have to do it.  Emperor Augustus lay down a decree that “all the world should be registered”.  This was the first registration, according to Luke.   I find it amazing to read this passage knowing what we do about the story and the scriptures?  It might seem random that the emperor decided to count and register everyone and that they had to go to their home towns to do it, but God has a plan and He causes it to unfold as He has designed it.  Scripture foretold of a babe in Bethlehem that would rule Israel.  If it weren't for the decree, would Mary and Joseph have traveled so far with a baby on the way?  God shows us again how he works in the lives of each of us to fulfill His plan.  Did Joseph hear the words of Isaiah and Micah echoing in his heart as they journeyed to Bethlehem?  Did he make the connection?  Do we?

Lord God,
I am excited to read your word today.  Thank you for the blessings and the clear message that you are with us and you guide us to do your will even with mundane tasks and sometimes troublesome ones.  Thank you for scripture, thank you for prophets and thank you for your Son, Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment