Saturday, December 21, 2013

John 8:12 “Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’”

It is the shortest day of the year today, the winter solstice.  We will see light less today than any other day of the year.  The world around us sleeps, hibernates or is dormant because of the lack of light and warmth.  This time of day in mid-summer the sun would have peeked over the horizon almost an hour ago but today, it is still dark.  The verse John 1:5 resonates in my heart “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”  I am not enjoying the thought of the shortest day and the longest night, I am trying to embrace the need for rest and the reality of seasons of darkness but I am not enjoying it at all.  I cling to the words in John 8.  I follow the light of the world and so I know I will never walk in darkness as long as I follow His light.  I know he placed the light of life in my soul and it warms me on these long winter nights.  I rejoice that even though winter is the season in my world, it is not the season in my heart and I pray for those hearts that are in a season of winter and darkness. 

Lord,
Thank you for your promise to keep the light of life in us if we walk with you.  Whether the life glows brightly or we only feel embers, help us stoke it up and feel the warmth bringing us closer to you.  Do not let the darkness overcome us but keep us close in your arms that we may continue to live in your light and shine your light through us into the world.  Thank you for the promise of spring.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment