Monday, December 9, 2013

John 1:6-7 “There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.  He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him.”

Here we catch a glimpse of the baby Zechariah and Elizabeth were blessed with.  He has grown up and found his calling.  I wonder what drew people to him.  He lived in the wilderness and dressed in camel fur; he ate locusts and honey.  Did people come out to see John because he was a spectacle?  Did they stay because of what he had to say?  Was it because of his oddities that he gained such a following or was it in spite of his oddities?  One thing is for sure, he got people’s attention.  Everything about him draws attention toward him so he can testify and share his message.  John did his part, he walked the path he was given.  His message has been passed down through the generations even to this day.  We are all called to continue the witness to the light that started so long ago with John.  I don’t dress strangely (although my kids might disagree at times) and I don’t draw people attention to me on purpose.  How do I witness to the light?  How do I spread the Love that came to us on Christmas long ago?  These are the questions I will keep in my heart as a reminder to spread the good news in whatever way God calls me to.

Lord,
The story of John is a call to each of us.  John is not alone in being given the task of witnessing to your Light.  Help our actions and words testify to the Light you have placed in our very souls.  Your Light came so long ago yet it still remains in him and continues in us forever.  Hallelujah and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment