Tuesday, May 27, 2014


Fasting has been on my heart again.
I know of several situations I lift in prayer every day but there is a small whisper needling me to consider fasting as well.
There are many times in the Bible that fasting and praying are mentioned and as I meditated today I wondered when and where fasting stopped being practiced.  Whenever there was a problem or a serious matter at hand, the faithful people of God turned to prayer and fasting.  Why not so much anymore?
This passage in Daniel speaks about him fasting and praying for all of the people of Judah.  He laments the sins of the people and calls on God’s mercy and forgiveness.  It is a beautiful and deeply felt prayer to God.
Maybe the majority of people have no interest in this practice of fasting and praying.  It is inconvenient and hard to manage with work and our busy schedules, right?  Life was different back then; they had time to do it...
What are our priorities?

Lord,

We come to you in prayer and supplication.  We come in praise and adoration, we come filled with so much but are we missing something?  Continue working on my heart, Lord.  I want to grow more deeply and passionately in love with you.  Guide my path toward that goal.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment