Monday, April 29, 2013


2 Timothy 2:23 “Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.”

Just yesterday I found myself picking apart words that were said to me.  I didn't jump in and spout out words that would have escalated the situation into a quarrel but I could have.  I watch these senseless controversies happen every single day in my home between my children and sadly even in the news and on social media.  I have even, inadvertently, been an instigator recently to one of these senseless controversies and it surely did breed quarrels.  Isn't it amazing how someone can take what we said and twist it around to something completely different? They actually do not hear the same thing we meant even though the words are not changed.  I have seen it and experienced it and it is strange and troublesome every time.  This verse calls us to step back from those moments.  Do not jump from the frying pan into the proverbial fire.  I know the only way I can manage to keep myself from getting burned is to keep my eyes and heart focused on Love.  Maybe then, I can be a guide for others to keep away from these follies too.

Lord,
We sure do like to be right and sometimes that desire gets in the way of truth and love.  Hold us back from stepping into trouble and being a part of a silly or senseless quarrel.  Guide our hearts and our words so we are careful with them; so that our actions and speech honor you and your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment