Sunday, February 22, 2015


What keeps me from becoming a disciple of the Lord?  What are my possessions?  When Jesus was speaking was he talking about money and personal belongings or was it something more?
During this season of reflection and repentance, this verse spoke deeply to my heart.  I knew as soon as I read it that I needed to spend time searching my heart with this verse in mind.  What do I possess so strongly that it keeps me from being who the Lord calls me to become?  When I woke up early this morning I had house fires on my mind.  If my house were on fire what would I grab on the way out?  What is so important to me that I would risk my life for it?  When it comes down to it, my family is the only thing I would risk life and limb for.  We have a lot of stuff but none of it is more important than my life or the lives of my family.
So, in my spiritual life, why do I continue to bring my stuff?  Why do I risk spiritual life and limb as I try to flee the dangers and death and follow Jesus to abundant life?  We all have things we cling to, things that are difficult, seemingly impossible to let go of, don’t we?  I know I do.  I pray, this morning, that the Lord will reveal to me what possessions keep me from deeper discipleship.  I pray He will bring me to a place where I am freed of them forever.  I pray for you as well.

Lord,

Thank you for your word.  Thank you that even as we spend a season in reflection and repentance we know we are already redeemed through your death and resurrection.  I ask that you dig deep into my heart and truly reveal the things that keep me from abundant life in you.  Help me name them and call them out.  Strengthen me to release them and be fully free in you and your love.  Until then, use these possessions to keep me stumbling so I remember that only you can save me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment