Thursday, January 2, 2014


Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff-they comfort me."



This is a previous one but I needed to read it again, so maybe it bears repeating...

There are road hazards all along life's highway.  In my life, the "highway" has often seemed a barely visible path in the middle of a forest.  Following a forest path can be relaxing, the shade of the trees, the damp coolness, and a stream running near the path with soothing sounds of water.  The path in the forest can be arduous.  Tree roots and hidden rocks in the path trip me and cause me to fall.  There is a steep embankment and I surely do not want to fall for fear of life and limb.  God is with me on this journey, whether it is a stroll or a trial of a hike; he is with me and he has brought along his crook. The shepherds crook has a curved handle to fit around the neck of a sheep, allowing a herder to catch any stray and reroute them in a new direction. This is the rod and staff that comfort me.  He will keep me safe pulling me back from the edge of danger, guiding me, and nudging me to correct my way.  

Lord,
Your rod and staff bring me comfort.  You never leave my side; you guide my steps and keep me safe.  I need to pay attention to your nudges and your voice calling me back in, drawing me close to your side once more.   Lord Jesus, thank you for being our shepherd.  Bring obedience to my heart and soul that I always hear your voice and leap to be close to you, knowing you are the good Shepherd.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment