Sunday, January 12, 2014

John 1:32-33 “And John testified, ‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him.  I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’’”

Most of us do not remember our baptisms.
We are usually baptized as infants and the most we have to remember it by is a certificate, maybe a special candle or blanket.  Some people are baptized as older children or adults; they come to the waters of their own accord.  This is Jesus’ story.
He was thirty years old and preparing for his ministry.  He came to the Jordan River to be baptized in water by John.  He came to receive in fullness what God had for Him. John says he himself did not know him but he was revealed to him by the Spirit of God.  John wants to be clear that is it not he that proclaimed and decided who Jesus was, God proclaimed Jesus His Son.
When I watch babies being baptized it almost always brings a tear to my eyes and a tug to my heart.  It is not their fancy clothes or wet hair and faces that affect me.  It is the promise and cleansing they receive; it is the joining of their spirits with all who have been baptized.  My spirit rejoicing with theirs tugs at my heart.
I remember the promises made at baptisms and it renews me in spirit.  I encourage you to read about the baptism, it is recorded in all four Gospels.  I pray the Spirit of the Lord will fill you anew and you receive blessing from the words and from the Word of God.  As the waters of the Jordan were abundant in his baptism so is the life He offers us through the Holy Spirit.  Praise God!

Lord,
Help my meager writings touch the hearts of those who read.  Allow the message to come through despite the writings.  Help us recall our baptisms if not in memory then in spirit so we can go forth remembering we are cleansed and made new.  We are part of the big family of God and through your Spirit we are given new life.  I pray these things through Jesus, your Holy Son.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment