Sunday, March 3, 2013


James 1:22 “But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves.”

I have a saying from my Mom rattling in my memory about hearing and not doing.  She used to say she could talk ‘til she was blue in the face and nothing would get done.  I remember times she would give us a direction as children and we would acknowledge her and then continue on with whatever it was we were doing.  We heard her, really we did.  We heard the garage door opening with my Dad coming home from work better though.  Invariably, if we had not done what was expected yet, we would jump up and rush to do before Daddy would walk in the door.  I don’t think we felt disobedient but we did deceive ourselves.  These actions or inactions, as the case may be, were disobedient.  When we hear the word of the Lord and simply continue on the path we have without considering what we heard, that too, is disobedient.  God gives clear guidance for us to love as He loves, to abide in Him, to serve one another.  I look at my own heart and know I do not always do this.  Of course I will not be infallible but I do not always strive to do.  When we act and do follow the word, James tells us we will be blessed in our doing.  Listen to the word and then go out and do so you will be blessed.

Lord,
Forgive my inaction and my disobedience in “forgetting” the direction you have given.  Move my heart into action so I may be blessed in acting for your kingdom and so that others may be blessed by my following and doing of your word.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment