Monday, December 31, 2012


Romans 22-23 “For I  delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.”

This passage of Romans was written just for me, I am sure of it!  When I am in full conflict between my flesh and the Spirit I cannot imagine that anyone else could be so self-tortured as me.  I started this morning in Chapter 40 of Ezekiel where the tables and vestibules for sacrifices are described.  There are tables for the burnt offering and tables for the sin and guilt offering.  I am certain I would be at that temple every day if I were completely honest with myself.  As it described the pegs that go all around the table for the flesh to lay on I could only picture Jesus, the one sacrificial lamb for all, lying on that table.  He willingly sacrificed his life, a lamb led to slaughter, for my sins and guilt.  It is by this gift of life that I can continue to delight in the law of God without cowering in the corner or really getting blood on my hands.  As I seek escape from the torment I realize that true freedom is at my fingertips.  Nothing will free me but Christ and his Spirit.  As I step closer to releasing the old self and embracing the new, it is only in his Holy Grace that I can find the strength to do this.  He is my redeemer and my sustainer.  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Lord,
You know our hearts and yet you desire a deep and true relationship with us.  Thank you for sending your son to show us how to be in relationship with you.  Thank you for destroying the barrier through Jesus ultimate sacrifice.  As we seek freedom, help us find it in you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment