Friday, December 7, 2012


Colossians 3:18-19 “Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.  Husbands, love your wives and never treat them harshly.”

I was led to these verses at 2:00 in the morning and even then I knew I was in for trouble.  Other translations use the word submit instead of subject but either way it comes to me, at first glance, as a control issue.  Maybe I see it this way because I have control issues anyway but I know I am not alone in struggling with verse 18.  I sat and meditated (long and hard) and I came to realize this is a verse about relationship, not about control.  The buck always has to stop somewhere, in any relationship.  Whether it is a spousal relationship, a work relationship or a friendship, there is always someone with the last word.  The best boss I ever had made me feel like a teammate and collaborator rather than a subject under their control.  The building of the relationship and honoring it was so important.  As I learn to let go of control, I am able to embrace and celebrate the gifts and strengths of others that the Lord has placed in my life.  As I learn to build relationships with others, so I learn to build my relationship with God.  Sometimes I am called to bend to the needs and wishes of others.  I am also called to bend to the guidance of the Lord.  As I prepare to worship the new born King, I must prepare my heart to come on bended knee.

Lord,
Thank you for bringing me through this passage unscathed.  I have always shied away from it; yet, in your grace you guided me and taught me.  Help me see the gifts that others bring, enhancing my life.  As I let go, reassure me that I am only letting you in where you belong.  When all is said and done, I bend to you Lord.  You are my Lord and my King.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment