Friday, April 18, 2014

John 19:17-18, 30 “and carrying the cross by himself he went out to what is called The Place of the Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha.  There they crucified him...he said, ‘It is finished.’  Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.”


This morning I pause to remember the story of Jesus’ death on a cross.
In my world of trials and prison, in my world of rarely a death penalty carried out, and never in public, I struggle to imagine this scene being real.
Jesus walked through the city carrying, dragging the cross he would be hung on.  People surrounded him, people followed behind, people wanted to see.  Spiritual darkness filled the hearts of many that day.  The heaviness in their hearts must have been stifling.
I cannot begin to understand the pain and torture Jesus experienced.  I cannot fathom the suffering, on every level, that he was going through.  Why did this have to happen in this way?  I am certain the disciples who were there were wondering why as well.
I think of the people who have suffered pain and torture since Jesus time.  There are many throughout history that have been tortured, maimed and killed.  There will continue to be spiritual darkness, suffering, pain, and torture, until he comes again.
Even on this remembrance of his death, I cling to the truth of his life and resurrection.  He will come again.

Lord,
We wait.  Your word says I cannot understand your ways for you are God and I am merely me.  Ease the pain and suffering of this world with your love.  Help those of us who know your love be agents of love to the world around us until you come again.  Thank you for life anew.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment